Group ginger have been working with Leeds City Council to inform their plans for the open spaces surrounding St John’s Church.
St John’s Church is the oldest church in Leeds City Centre, its construction dates back to 1632-34. The Anglican church has been declared redundant since 1975. It is a designated grade 1 listed building and is cared for under the Churches Conservation Trust. The church and its surrounding area is a key asset in the midst of Leeds City Council’s vision for New Briggate which focusses on improved connectivity enhancing pedestrian movement between the grand arcade, Victoria Gate and the Arena and the provision of accessible, fun greenspace. St John’s churchyard and Merrion Gardens are a popular greenspace destination in the city centre and there are significant opportunities to improve the spaces to attract more people to use them. Group ginger have reviewed the area to present a coordinated approach which conjoins adjoining spaces together to establish a civic scale connected safe green space in the city which is attractive to all generations.
Proposals include, woodland play areas, lunch patios and a wild meadow story garden.