Tophill Low Nature Reserve is an active Yorkshire Water Treatment Works built in 1959. It formally opened as a Nature Reserve in 1993 and features 12 hides spread across a 300 acre site that flanks the River Hull. The two reservoirs – ‘D’ and ‘O’ dominate the reserve and have SSSI status for their massive wildfowl numbers. Around the perimeter a network of marshes, ponds, woodlands and grasslands result in an annual 160+ bird species, with over 60 readily visible even in mid-winter.
The new visitor and warden facility supports public interest and use of the nature reserve. The welfare building is the first phase of a series of planned works to the park. The design creates a new building to welcome visitors to the Landscape Park and sanctuary. The design cleverly refurbishes an old garage building. The Cedar shingles which cover the old structure will weather over time to blend the external structure into its woodland setting. The weathered envelope will contrast with the warmth of the varnished cedar under the new canopy which protects the visitors coming and going from this polite little building.